Landlord Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question not answered below please do not hesitate to contact us.

Who will rent my property and what type of tenancy agreement will be used?

The type of tenant varies from student or professional. We reference all prospective tenants by carrying out a credit check, confirming employment and contacting previous landlords.

We use two different lease agreements, an HMO lease and a standard short assured tenancy agreement. If you have any questions regarding a short assured tenancy please refer to the Shelter Scotland website

Will I have a deposit?

Yes, we usually hold a deposit equal to one and a half months rental for the term of the tenancy. At the end of the tenancy the two parties to the tenancy agreement should jointly agree on the apportionment of any deductions for the deposit, e.g. for the costs or compensation for damages, or for breaches of, or failure to comply with, the tenant’s obligations.

Any proportion in dispute should not be paid over by, or taken by, either party until and unless mutual agreement is reached, or unless an appropriate third party makes a decision.

How many keys do you require?

We need a set of keys per tenant that will be moving into the property and we also require an extra set of keys in the office.

When do I get paid?

Our landlord payment runs are on or around the 20th day of month.

Can I market for sale and rent at the same time?

When you are choosing an estate agent, do make sure you choose one who also does lettings.   Letting agents have long-term buy-to-let property investors permanently on their books who buy regularly. They know the agent, and they make quick decisions and reliable offers. They prefer to buy through an agency that does lettings because it is easy for them to let out their new investment.

Also, many tenants also register to buy. Good letting agents build strong relationships with their tenants and are in a good position to help them buy one of their own selling clients’ properties.

It also means that should you decide to rent your property out instead of selling it the same agent can handle both – whichever comes along first!

Can I organise my own maintenance?

Yes –  We contact each landlord for all maintenance queries, this allows you the opportunity to decide how you would like to handle the issue. You can deal with the issue yourself, use your own contractor or we can take the hassle away from you and use one of our contractors.

How long will it take to rent my property?

Average time taken to let varies from location to location and on the season however, a well presented and well marketed property at the correct rental should let within one month. Our staff will tell you about competitive properties in the area, about potential tenant’s requirements and how to present your property so that it appeals to potential tenants.

Do I have to get permission to let my property?

Once you have decided to rent your property you must obtain the necessary consents from any other interested parties. These may include:

Mortgage Lender. If you have a mortgage or other loan secured on the property, you must obtain approval from your lender before you enter a tenancy agreement. We require a copy of the written consent and details of any special terms before we can arrange a tenancy on your behalf.

If your property is Leasehold (flats and maisonettes), you may need to obtain permission from the Freeholders or the managing agent in order to let the the property.

If the property is owned by more than one person, consent for letting must be obtained from every joint owner before any tenancy commences.

Do I have to insure my property?

You will need to check that your Buildings Insurance policy will continue to provide full cover once a tenant has moved in. You should also check that your Contents Insurance will not be affected by the tenancy.
Tenants are advised to take out their own contents insurance when renting, however you must continue to insure any appliances, floor coverings and soft furnishings which will remain in the property

Should I let my property Furnished or Unfurnished?

You may choose to let your property furnished or unfurnished, largely speaking this does not affect the rental level and the demand is equal.
Unfurnished properties must have suitable carpets and/or floor coverings, curtains and light fittings/shades. It is very likely that the white goods for the kitchen (cooker, refrigerator and washing machine) will be required.
Furnished properties in addition to the above must include suitable furniture for all rooms.
It is advisable that you remove all items of high monetary or sentimental value together with all personal effects.

Do I have to have an inventory?

The importance of the inventory should never be under estimated since its accuracy will determine the amount of compensation due to the landlord, and equally the amount to be deducted from the tenants’ deposit (if any).

The inventory is a key element in the letting process, detailing, as it does the contents of the property and the descriptive condition of every item including doors, walls, ceilings, lights and so on. Said quickly, this does not sound too onerous a task, but look around you and try to count the items which are in view, try to assess accurately the condition of each, multiply this by say eight or nine rooms (not forgetting garages, sheds and gardens) and the task and responsibility of an accurate inventory preparation becomes clear.

The inventory procedures normally cover three stages. Firstly the preparation of the inventory, secondly the check in of the tenants, at the commencement of their tenancy against the inventory and thirdly the checkout at the end of the tenancy, using the inventory against which the tenants were checked in. The tenant agrees and accepts legal responsibility for the property and its contents and that the description of the items and their condition is accurate. The tenant also accepts that should any damage result from the tenancy, restitution will be the tenants’ responsibility, and the cost will be deducted from the deposit.

A thoughtful, careful tenant who has treated the property with care, will receive back all or most of his deposit, whilst the tenant that has been careless with the property could well find that most of his deposit has been taken up in repairs, cleaning and dilapidation costs to make good the damage caused.

What is the tenancy Deposit Scheme?

The Tenancy Deposit Scheme regulations require that you must pay deposits to an approved scheme administrator and ensure that the deposit is held by an approved scheme for the duration of the tenancy.

You will be asked to provide evidence of registration with the relevant local authority when the deposit is paid over. All deposits are held in a Scottish government approved scheme.

You must also provide the tenant with specific information about the tenancy, the deposit and the scheme that will be protecting it.

The duty to comply with the regulations does not apply if there is no approved tenancy deposit scheme in operation.

For more information please take a look at the Scottish Government website.

MQ Estate Agents is a member of The Property Ombudsman, Scottish Landlord Association, National Landlord Association and Safe Deposits Scotland which is full endorsed and complies with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme. 

Being a member of these organisations ensures MQ Estate Agents provides Sellers, buyers, landlords and tenants with an assurance that they will receive the highest level of customer service.

Property Regulator Property Ombusman Letting

Copyright © 2016 MQ Estate Agents Limited All Rights Reserved | email:
Registered in Scotland, Company Number SC 392525. Registered office 148 West Regent Street Glasgow G2 2RQ, VAT No: GB 127827691
Terms and Conditions
| Privacy Policy | Website by

Estate Agents Scotland - Sell your home in Scotland - Estate Agents Glasgow - Houses for Sale in Edinburgh